Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Cpl W. Brookes MM. Replacement headstone achieved. Well done Padre, the RTR & CWGC!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpl W. Brookes MM. Replacement headstone achieved. Well done Padre, the RTR & CWGC!!

The front page of the recent news letter included a report initiated by Padre concerning a Great War fallen Tank Corps soldier's broken private headstone. Padre originally contacted me and I placed the situation into the hands of Royal Tank Regiment RHQ. This was acted on swiftly however the response from the CWGC revealed remedial action would not be swift but would only be achieved in the fullness of time. Below is the initial response received by the RTR.

To the Regimental Secretary.
    Further to my email of the 01-10-12 I can confirm that the paperwork was completed and returned by Weymouth council and that I entered the headstone into the ordering system on the 06-11-12.

I am afraid that from that point things begin to slow down, the casualty details were posted on our web site in an endeavour to contact the next of kin, (as we are obliged to) with no response. The details will now be entered onto our new ordering system by staff at our Area office, and take its place in the very lengthy queue. ( I did endeavour to submit a priority order but unfortunately in this case the criteria are not met). I am sorry to have to report that the current estimate for this headstone to be produced is 18 months, and I fear that it could be even longer with the vast backlog of work that our engraving shop is experiencing , due to the extra workload presented by our 1914-18 project.

I am sorry to be the bearer of this disappointing news, but rest assured, that in the fullness of time Cpl Brookes will be commemorated by a Commission headstone in perpetuity.

.................................................. ........

Indeed in the fullness of time a brand new marble, not Portland stone headstone did appear and for that the Regiment is most happy with this result.

As far as any graveside RTR commemoration ceremony is concerned, I have received no further information but will come back to Padre and all if ever informed otherwise.

Cpl Wilfred Brookes MM headstone at Weymouth today.

Cpl Brookes MM feared naught!
    Well done Padre, well done all involved!
    Attached Files

Comment

Well done to all concerned. A good result, no less than he deserved.
      “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
      ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

The stone the CWGC is using mostly now is called Vratza, It comes from Eastern Europe possibly Bulgaria, the Portland quarry could not supply enough for the amount of New headstones to be replaced for the deteriorating WW1 headstones, at roughly 80kilos they are a bit of a lump to move about

Comment

Indeed & well done all involved! ��

Comment

Great result.
            You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Working...
              X