Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Bombardier Heinz Pisarek and Gunner Joseph Brooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombardier Heinz Pisarek and Gunner Joseph Brooks

25 November 1973

Bombardier Heinz Pisarek and Gunner Joseph Brooks of 156 Inkerman Battery, 94 Locating Regiment, Royal Regiment of Artillery.

Heinz and "Steve" were on duty at the Tango2 OP located on top of Rossville flats in the Bogside, Londonderry. Their task was to guard the lower entrance to the rest room which lead to the OP. At approxamately 2100hrs, the OP was fired on from the Glenfada Park area. At the same time, using people exiting the lift as cover, two gunmen surprised the men on guard shooting both of them dead.
    Heinz Pisarek was one of the most popular guys in the regiment and a personal friend of mine. Tremendously fit, he was a Regimental P.T.I. and had a sense of humour to be admired. His supply of jokes could last for hours. Heinz had already had a lucky escape in 1971 when, in the same incident in which Gunner Curtis was killed in the New Lodge, Belfast, a 9mm round hit the battery pack of the A41 radio he was carrying and lodged in his web belt.

Always Remembered....Never Forgotten

R.I.P. Old friend.

Joseph or Steve as everyone knew him was relatively new to the regiment but during build up showed himself to be a really switched on lad.

Always Remembered....Never Forgotten

R.I.P.

As a point of irony, the first two soldiers to die through terrorist action were from 94 Regiment. Heinz and "Steve" were 201 and 202.
    Jock2413
    Site Guardian
    Last edited by Jock2413; 25-11-2017, 05:42 PM.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM...

Comment

weill remember them
      wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

We Will Remember Them

Comment

RIP our brave comrades. They will never be forgotten.

Comment

Heinz got off lucky on our first tour. He lent me his car when we were at Larkhill together. after he was killed it was auctioned for his widow. The winner gave it back to be sold. My wife was in the next bed to his wife in BMH Hannover.

Comment

we wont forget.o7

Comment

We will remember them

Comment

to my friend Heinz Pisarek

I remember hearing those shots that terrible night, Sleep well dear friend..

A/C Troop/57 Bty/94Loc. 1966-19777

Comment

We who remain will never forget them.
                    Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

A Sec R.H.Q. Tp was going past Rossville Flats when the murder took place. We sealed them off but after about 20min were told to back off to Dove Gds and observe. Always wondered why, but all became clear in later years. It was a political withdrawal not military

Comment

If you remember Alan, we in B section were running parallel to you. We were withdrawn to I think Abbey street and later picked up by pigs and went back to the Saracen factory. Only the TC John M knew what had happened. He tried to tell us that they were still alive but I saw the medics scrubbing a stretcher in the shower room and they told me they were both dead. I met Chas H near the ops room and he told me the names. Remember hitting the flats at 0500 hrs and arresting every male between 16 and 60.

Comment

I'm sitting replying with the photo of reserve tp on wall behind me would your surname begin with "S"

Comment

It surely did mate. You've sussed me. If you go to the Open part of the Forum and scroll down to "Your Stories", open that and then open Bogside 1973, there's the story of the day Dave Tobin was shot.
                            I'd scratch your eyes out for a copy of that photo of Reserve Troop. When the first wife and I separated, she took every photo of me that I had. It was as if I was born at the age of 26 in 1977. It's only now through this site and Facebook that lads have sent me pictures with me in taken during the early and mid '70s.

Comment

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Comment

Working...
                              X