Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Albert Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Cooper

November 2nd, 1990

Names....they evoke memories or click knowledge buttons. Some more easily than others. Ones that instantly spur the details of place and circumstances, like a sitrep.

Albert Cooper was a Part-Time Sgt Major with 8UDR in Cookstown and ran a garage in the town.
    A young girl brought a Vauxhall Astra in for Albert to have a look at; she left, and, when Albert got in, started the car and engaged the gears, the car exploded, killing him.

It's one thing to go out, night after night, for years, in the expectation of a contact or an IED. It always struck me as being of inestimable tragedy when these *******s picked off comrades at their most vulnerable and 'normal' part of their lives.
    There are stories like this throughout the history of my regiment and the country we served; still, every time I look at 'Lost Lives' or see a name at the top of the forum page, I remember how they died and feel the pain of their loss, and the impact on their families.

Rest easy Albert, and all our comrades.
    BigStevie
    Old Sweat
    Last edited by BigStevie; 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM. Reason: typo

Too sad for words mate.

Comment

We Will Remember Them.
      You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
          Because those that matter, don't mind.
          And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Convicted with a co-accused of murder in November 1990 the girl involved was a 19 year old student nurse and was one of the last female prisoners released in December 1998 under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

It was alleged that in retaliation a 43 year old married Catholic father of 4 children working on a car in a garage in Stewartstown was shot at close range by two men armed with a rifle and a handgun. He had no connection with the Republican Movement.

RIP both.
            Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

May the bitch rot in hell.

Comment

I'm a great believer in naming and shaming. So saying that......

Geraldine Ferrity, given a life sentence for the murder of Albert Cooper. The bitch was released under the GFA.
                James Duffin, given a life sentence for the same murder. This bas*ard was also gifted release under the GFA.
                If I could dig out their present address, I would post that up as well.

Comment

I have always thought that in some ways, those of us serving tours in NI had it 'easy'. The UDR lads had to go home at night, to houses not a stones throw from where the enemy were living. They also had to bring their families up in terrible circumstances, with the threat of attack or intimidation at the forefront of their everyday lives.
                  RIP Albert, and all the rest of our UDR comrades, murdered for just trying to carve out a better life.

Comment

lest we forget
                    wee mac

Smallest man in NATO. ascendit stilla, numquam vastate duplici

Comment

Originally posted by slapper View Post
                      I have always thought that in some ways, those of us serving tours in NI had it 'easy'. The UDR lads had to go home at night, to houses not a stones throw from where the enemy were living. They also had to bring their families up in terrible circumstances, with the threat of attack or intimidation at the forefront of their everyday lives.
                      RIP Albert, and all the rest of our UDR comrades, murdered for just trying to carve out a better life.
                      ......i concur wholeheartedly ,mate also like post #8 and jocks idea of posting the address of murdering a/holes...

Comment

The fellow(s) that compiled the Name & Shame list that Jock posted here
                        (http://www.nivets.org.uk/forums/show...and-Shame-List.)
                        seem to have done that for some of the entries and it made me smile at their candour.
                        eg -
                        Addresses in 00 either Howth Rd Killester Dublin or Kimahuddrick Lawns Clondalkin Dublin
                        and -
                        Has home near to Gortahork, Donegal small cottage on coast road, white painted door and windows yard overgrown with (cotton ?)
                        Other entries include similar additions about scrotes character which would certainly prejudice a court of law.
                        The compiler(s) seem be serving or ex RUC with a sense of humour and a wish for justice.
                        I would like to shake that persons hand.

Comment

I particularly liked the entry about a dead one that gave his present address as HELL.

Comment

I hope not. I dont want HIM for a neighbour when I pop me clogs.

Comment

I always had the greatest admiration for the UDR, worked with them at Sunnyside and was always glad I had the opportunty to help them with thier repairs.
                              May they all rest in peace.
                              Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X