• In Memory Of

    Sergeant MICHAEL JAMES WINKLER
  • NIVA Upcoming Events

    NIVA Service of Remembrance

    On Sat Sep 8th 2018

  • About NIVA

    Welcome to the website of the Northern Ireland Veterans Association (NIVA).

       
      NIVA is an internet based association (registered with COBSEO) with forum users and members all over the UK and abroad. Primarily for veterans of the Op Banner campaign from 1969 to 2007, be they ex or serving members of the UK armed forces, PSNI, NI fire/ambulance or prison services, we also particularly welcome relatives of the fallen.

       
      To register on the site as a forum user only, please **Click Here**. NB - for security reasons all applications are vetted and once admitted, permitted access to the open parts of the website/forum only. This is absolutely free to use.

        
    To join as a full or associate member of NIVA once registered on the forums, please follow the link in the downloads section of the site to download a membership application form which should be returned to the address shown together with payment and proof of service etc. All monies raised go towards the upkeep of the website and the organisation of NIVA's annual service of remembrance at the NMA in Alrewas. Full/associate members also gain admittance to the private areas of the website/forum where comrades can be assured of their personal security and enjoy all the banter and support you came to expect whilst serving the Crown. Additionally full members are invited to march with NIVA for Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph in London.

       
      If you have any queries please contact us at:

       
      The Northern Ireland Veterans Association
    PO Box 584
    Mexborough
    South Yorkshire
    S63 3FW

  • Grimster

    by Published on 22-07-2011 02:22 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. News from Northern Ireland
    Article Preview

    A decision to charge Old Bailey bomber Marian Price in connection with the murder of two British soldiers is an abuse of legal process, her lawyer claimed.

    The 57-year-old has been charged with providing property for the purposes of terrorism in connection with the shootings of sappers Mark Quinsey, 23, and Patrick Azimkar, 21, outside Massereene Army base in Antrim in March 2009.

    Price, who was referred to in Belfast Magistrates' Court by her married name McGlinchey, was originally arrested and questioned over the matter in November 2009.

    Earlier this year the veteran republican, who was jailed along with her sister Dolores in 1973 for their part in the IRA Old Bailey bombing, had her early release licence revoked and was returned to prison.
    ...
    by Published on 07-07-2011 12:34 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. News from Northern Ireland
    Article Preview

    Real IRA leader Michael McKevitt has lost his appeal against a landmark civil court ruling which held him liable for the 1998 Omagh bombing.

    In Belfast on Thursday, the appeal court upheld the 2009 ruling against McKevitt and Liam Campbell.
    The judge directed a civil retrial of the claims against Colm Murphy and Seamus Daly's appeal has been upheld.

    In 2009, a judge found the four men liable, awarding 12 relatives a total of £1.6m damages.

    Twenty-nine people and unborn twins died in the bomb.

    Lawyers for the families had also appealed the compensation awarded. They said it should have been more because of the scale of the outrage.
    In court on Thursday, the 12 relatives who took the 2009 case, were told that the £1.6m figure awarded to them would not be increased.
    ...
    by Published on 05-07-2011 11:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. News from Northern Ireland
    Article Preview

    A full inventory of arms decommissioned by paramilitaries during the peace process will not be made public, the body which oversaw the process has decided.

    The detailed files on all the guns, munitions and explosives put beyond use by groups such as the IRA, UDA and UVF will instead be held by the US State Department in Washington, said the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning (IICD).

    The move was revealed in the final report of the IICD which was published by the British and Irish governments.

    The commission said part of its rationale for keeping the information under wraps was to avoid discouraging future acts of decommissioning.

    The last document produced by the commissioners reflected on its work since it was first set up in 1997.

    In that period the IICD, led by retired Canadian general John de Chastelain, facilitated the destruction of arsenals belonging to all militant organisations on ceasefire.

    Although a marginalised band of extremists continue to target the peace process using terrorism, the IICD's job was to facilitate disarmament among those groups which had renounced violence, not persuade those still intent on conflict.
    ...
    by Published on 22-06-2011 05:59 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. News from the UK
    Article Preview

    The event brings motorcyclists from near and far together to attend a memorial service at the National Memorial Arboretum on the first Saturday in October, in order to remember those who can no longer ride by our side.
    The date for this year is Saturday 1st of October 2011, there are now 100 days to go!
    Since the first ride in 2008, through your support and generosity we have raised almost £100,000 for the NMA. The money you have so kindly donated goes towards the upkeep of the stunningly beautiful & peaceful arboretum, which is home to the largest memorial outside of the capital, the Armed Forces Memorial wall.

    Ride to The Wall started with 1800 riders in 2008 and saw rider numbers exceed 4000 in 2010 which when added to the non motorcycling participants took total numbers to 15,000 for 2010. The growth and the ever increasing scale of the event and the complexities associated with organizing Ride To The Wall has forced us to undertake a total review of all aspects associated with the Ride To The wall. In order to comply with legislation we were forced to review our legal status and I am pleased to announce that our application for charitable status has been approved by the Charity Commissioner. The new structure will allow more effective operations and will enhance our fund raising ...
    by Published on 11-06-2011 08:16 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. News from Northern Ireland
    Article Preview

    The Smithwick Tribunal in Dublin has heard that a gang who killed two senior RUC officers in south Armagh 22 years ago cheered as they drove off in a van.

    Five eyewitnesses have described how the IRA carried out the ambush near Jonesboro on 20 March 1989.
    The inquiry is investigating alleged collusion between Gardai and the IRA into the killings of the officers.
    Chief Superintendent Harry Breen and Superintendent Bob Buchanan were shot dead after meeting gardai in Dundalk.

    Finbarr King, a former soldier in the Irish army, described how he drove along Edenappa Road in south Armagh on the day of the attack and was stopped at a roadblock.
    Forced to lie face down, he said up to five people got out of a van and opened fire on the car carrying the two RUC officers.
    ...
    by Published on 10-05-2011 09:00 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. News from Northern Ireland
    Article Preview

    The PSNI area commander in Londonderry has said two children under the age of 10 were nearby when a military grenade was thrown at officers in the city.

    It happened as police were dealing with a security alert in the Southway area of Creggan on Monday afternoon.
    Chief Superintendent Stephen Martin said the "viable" device landed at one police officer's feet but did not explode.
    He said it was "sheer good fortune" that no-one was hurt or killed.
    "There were four officers in fairly close proximity to the attack," he said.
    "I have absolutely no doubt that the person who threw this believed it would detonate and if it had detonated I would be talking this morning about seriously injured or killed police officers and young children."
    Several homes were evacuated in Monday's alert and Army bomb experts were called to the scene to examine a suspicious object.
    ...
    by Published on 25-04-2011 01:11 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. News from Northern Ireland
    Article Preview

    First Minister to meet Paterson after MoD refuse city parade

    The First Minister will hold an urgent meeting with the Secretary of State to discuss the MoD’s refusal to hold a Belfast homecoming parade for troops returning from Afghanistan.
    Peter Robinson demanded the meeting in a telephone conversation with Owen Paterson in a bid to have the controversial decision overturned.
    “This outrageous decision has been made by the MoD in London without any consultation either with the local administration or local representatives,” the DUP leader said.
    “The decision is unacceptable and we will be seeking a review of the decision otherwise the impression will be given that dissident republicans can dictate where our soldiers are able to parade.”

    The Royal Irish Regiment will be taking part in an annual service of Thanksgiving at St Anne’s Cathedral on May 22.
    However, petitions calling for a full military parade to go ahead have been organised.
    ...
    Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast