Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Former British soldier, 66, is arrested by detectives probing the 1972 Bloody Sunday shootings

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Grimster
    Webmeister

• Former British soldier, 66, is arrested by detectives probing the 1972 Bloody Sunday shootings

Man detained in County Antrim by Legacy Investigation Branch officers
    66-year-old being interviewed by detectives at a police station in Belfast
    Fourteen people died when British soldiers shot 26 unarmed civilians
    First arrest since police launched murder investigation into events in 2012

A former British soldier has been arrested by detectives investigating the Bloody Sunday shootings in Londonderry in 1972.
    The 66-year-old man was detained in County Antrim by detectives from Northern Ireland's Legacy Investigation Branch.
    He is currently being interviewed by detectives at a police station in Belfast.
    No further details have been released as yet confirming the man's identity.
    It is the first arrest made by officers since their murder investigation into the events of Bloody Sunday was launched in 2012.
    The probe was initiated after a Government-commissioned inquiry undertaken by Lord Saville found that none of the victims were posing a threat to soldiers when they were shot.

Following the publication of the Saville report in 2010, Prime Minister David Cameron apologised for the Army's actions, branding them 'unjustified and unjustifiable'.
    In September, the Police Service Northern Ireland (PSNI) announced their intention to interview seven former soldiers about their involvement on the day.
    Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison is leading the investigation.

He said the arrest 'marked a new phase in the overall investigation which would continue for some time'.
    The 1972 slaughter saw 14 Catholic civil rights protesters shot dead during a march through Londonderry.
    Ten thousand marchers saw their planned route to Guildhall Square in the heart of the city sealed off by British troops. However, a handful - mostly teenagers - tried to persist with the original walk, clashing with police officers at whom they threw stones.
    Police responded by firing water canons and rubber bullets.

However, the 1st Parachute Regiment, who were also on patrol, were quickly called into action.
    Some of the paratroopers then almost immediately opened fire, killing thirteen men and injuring 13 others, one of whom died some months later.
    The 14 people who died were all men, aged between 17 and 41-years-old. A 59-year-old eventually succumbed to his injuries months later.
    Twelve others were injured, with more than 100 rounds fired into the crowd during the altercation.
    The Police Service of Northern Ireland's Legacy Investigation Branch contains 70 officers probing historical murder cases, including Bloody Sunday.

At the time of its formation in December last year, Chief Constable George Hamilton said: 'In the continued absence of an agreed political and societal response to Northern Ireland's past, the Police Service plans to fulfil its statutory obligations through a new Legacy Investigation Branch.
    'The formation of this Branch will ensure that we fulfil these legal obligations in terms of reviewing and investigating the past. It is our intention that it will be integrated into Crime Operations Department and will be accountable to me, under the direction of the Assistant Chief Constable for Crime Operations, Will Kerr.'
    The PSNI has already contacted more than 100 soldiers as part of their investigation into the atrocity.
    No soldiers are obliged to speak to the police because they are being treated as witnesses and not suspects.
    Speaking in June, Detective Chief Inspector Harrison said: 'The next stage of the investigation would be to interview those soldiers who are willing to engage with the enquiry team as witnesses.
    'I am content with the level of resources I have working on the investigation at this stage.

'If at any time further resources are required they will be made available to me.'
    Former MP Peter Hain, who was Secretary of State for Northern Ireland between 2005 and 2007, previously stated that he believes the British troops involved in the killings should be given an amnesty from prosecution as terrorists have been.
    Mr Hain spoke out in March last year after it emerged that nearly 200 suspected IRA terrorists had received 'comfort letters' assuring them they were no longer being sought by police.
    An Old Bailey judge ruled that John Downey would not be prosecuted for the 1982 Hyde Park terror blast, which left four soldiers dead, because he had effectively been given immunity as part of the peace process.
    He said: 'Difficult as I know it is for victims on all sides, I see no point in endlessly searching for evidence for crimes committed so many years ago in the Troubles and which is increasingly difficult, if not impossible, to get given the passage of time.
    'If you have addressed the question of former terrorists involved in activity, then it should apply even-handedly right across the board to members of the British security forces as well.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shootings.html
    Attached Files

• Rick Ashley
      Rick Ashley
      Old Sweat
      Rick Ashley commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe wee all should take a back seat and review the last weeks events with a nice cold glass of Port.

There is a large pocket of knowledge and first hand witnessed experience of the troubles within Northern Ireland on this site.

Am sure Wee have Ace cards in thing wee have Seen and documented on Duties upon a legal stand under Oth.

Cause that's what wee pledged Foreign and Domestic.

Defence of our Soil.

https://youtu.be/ppbhxukCd-4
      Rick Ashley
      Old Sweat
      Last edited by Rick Ashley; 15-03-2019, 09:17 PM. Reason: spellings

• Rick Ashley
      Rick Ashley
      Old Sweat
      Rick Ashley commented
      Editing a comment
      Your Brothers are behind you whatever.

R

https://youtu.be/6hzrDeceEKc

• Rick Ashley
      Rick Ashley
      Old Sweat
      Rick Ashley commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Rick Ashley
      Gentleman.
      looking back through old posts as I've learned that time let's the dust settle and anger faids giving a Farther and Mothers view of the situation.
      2019 and Northern Ireland still is without a Government yet they still take the wages! We dont have that luxury as wages havnt increased from 2008.
      I am only going to say this for one reason at the end of this post:wait out!
      6:30 am rain sleet snow get up unload the pistol change the magazine make ready and Decok into safety. Downstairs Coffee check the cameras and send the dogs out.
      Dogs not barking and cameras with no hits 9mm in hand it's time to look under the cars and check the gates. This is so my family and friends are safe before I look at what colour my car safety device red or green.

I do get upset when I see who was in Goverment but I'm thankfull that my Daughter hasn't a day of seeing what they did
      And don't get me wrong I still rake the stones around the cars and send the dogs out.

My point being a lot of Friend are still alive some of the Government ones ar not!!

Rick.
      https://youtu.be/BbYj3tJRSO8

NI Goverment.
      Rick.
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• NIVA  Service of Remembrance Saturday 14th September 2024   
    Trebor
    Membership Sec and 1st Reserve Standard Bearer. PRI manager
    by Trebor
    This years’ service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 14th September 2024 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.

The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.

The chapel service will be followed by a parade down to the Ulster Ash Grove for the laying of wreathes.

Following the laying of the wreathes, there will be a 15-minute pause before
    12-03-2024, 03:17 PM
  • Northern Ireland Veterans' Association Service of Remembrance 2023
    Trebor
    Membership Sec and 1st Reserve Standard Bearer. PRI manager
    by Trebor
    Northern Ireland Veterans' Association

Service of Remembrance
    National Memorial Arboretum
    Saturday 9th September 2023

This years’ service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 9th September 2023 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.

The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.

The chapel...
    05-06-2023, 04:25 PM
  • NMA Commemoration service 2022.
    Jock2413
    Site Guardian
    by Jock2413
    This year's service will be held at the NMA on Saturday 10th September. At present, we won't be aware of restrictions, if any, that the NMA will impose on attendees (pre booking cars, names etc) but as this information is made available to us, we will publish it.
    08-02-2022, 09:14 PM
  • NIVA Service of Remembrance 2021
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster
    NIVA Service Of Remembrance

The 2021 service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 11th September 2021 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.The chapel service will be followed by a parade down to the Ulster Ash Grove for the laying of wreathes. ...
    04-04-2021, 07:45 PM
  • NMA 2020 small service
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster

Ten members and wives assembled today at the Ulster Ash Grove to represent all our members for the Act of Remembrance. ...
    19-09-2020, 07:26 PM
  • Ken Anderson (DeadHorse) 1947-2020
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster

It is our sad duty to inform you that Ken passed away on Thursday 19th March 2020 after a brief struggle with cancer.
    A full obituary will be published in the forthcoming Newsletter.

The NIVA Annual Service of Remembrance was booked with the NMA to take place on Saturday 12th September 2020. Since that booking was made, we have been advised that the NMA is closed for the foreseeable future. Alternative arrangements may have to be made. Keep logging in to follow and
    25-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Working...
X