Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Peter Hain calls for end to prosecutions over NI Troubles

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Grimster
    Webmeister

• Peter Hain calls for end to prosecutions over NI Troubles

Click image for larger version

Name:	peter-hain_1133772c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	303272Former NI Secretary Peter Hain has said there should be an end to prosecutions over Northern Ireland's Troubles.

It would mean no-one would be prosecuted for the 3,000 unsolved murders during 30 years of violence.

Mr Hain made his comments ahead of the start of a trip to London by President Michael D Higgins, the first UK state visit by an Irish head of state.

A spokesperson for David Cameron said: "The prime minister does not support the idea of amnesties."Mr Hain was secretary of state for Northern Ireland from 2005 to 2007.

In an interview in The Times, he said he realised that his idea would make victims and survivors "desperately angry", but argued it was necessary for Northern Ireland to stop being "stalked" by its past.
    "I think there should be an end to all conflict-related prosecutions," he told the paper.

'Issues of the future'

"That should apply to cases pre-dating the Good Friday Agreement in 1998. This is not desirable in a normal situation. You would never dream of doing this in England, Scotland and Wales, but the Troubles were never normal.

"You can keep going back all the time and you can keep looking over your shoulder or turning around all the time, but what that does is take you away from addressing the issues of now and the issues of the future."Mr Hain said Northern Ireland's political leaders urgently needed to face the legacy of the conflict because the issue was not "going to go away".

"It's going to continue stalking the first minister, the deputy first minister and the entire body politic there. The past just stalks them and they're either going to confront it and deal with it together or they're going to continue to be stalked by it," he said.The Northern Ireland Good Friday Agreement of 1998 meant anyone convicted of paramilitary crimes was eligible for early release.

However, this did not cover those suspected of such crimes, nor did it cover people who had been charged or convicted but who had escaped from prison.In February, it emerged during the trial of John Downey, who was accused of murdering four soldiers in the Hyde Park bombing in 1982, that Irish republicans who were On the Run (OTR) had received letters stating that they were not wanted by police for paramilitary crimes committed before the 1998 Good Friday peace agreement.

Anger

The revelation caused anger among unionist politicians who denied any knowledge of the scheme.

The controversy is being examined in two separate inquiries.

The British government has appointed Lady Justice Hallett to conduct an independent review of the administrative scheme for dealing with OTRs.

The Northern Ireland Affairs Committee is also holding its own inquiry into the scheme.

Following the OTRs revelations, Mr Hain said last month that British soldiers involved in the Bloody Sunday killings should not be prosecuted.

Fourteen civilians died after soldiers opened fire at a civil rights march in Londonderry in 1972.

Last year, Northern Ireland's attorney general said there should be an end to prosecutions for Troubles-related killings.

John Larkin said there should be no further police investigations, inquests or inquiries into any relevant killings that took place before the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

That meant all deaths caused by paramilitaries, police or the Army.

Mr Larkin said his proposal was not a formal amnesty, but was a logical consequence of the agreement.

warriordoc2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by dunmystint
      That's right. For those of us who have to still live with the consequences, the Hains of the world have no idea.
      As Peter Hain is my MP I hold my own council. (didn't vote for him though)!!!!

• Lynx7
      Lynx7
      Association Member
      Lynx7 commented
      Editing a comment
      I attended the Warrington Peace Centre lecture given by Martin McGuinness, available to watch via their website and I encourage everyone with a close interest in all things Northern Ireland to do so. I never thought I would live to see the day a senior figure in the IRA would praise Ian Paisley, John Major, etc, etc! After the lecture there was a Q&A session and my previously sent question to him, though not known to him, was the first one read out. Like any good politician he very skilfully avoided giving a true answer or any answer to the main point of the question a fact Dennis Murray BBC, chairing the session failed to pick up then as did everyone else later on the question of American collusion and hypocrisy, watch the video.

Never mind, later as I shook McGuninness's hand I paused momentary and looked him straight in the eye knowing at that moment I had his life in my hands. Like me he must be one lucky bugger, as I only took his picture.

• On1on
      On1on
      Association Member
      On1on commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you washed your hands afterwards...
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• NIVA  Service of Remembrance Saturday 14th September 2024   
    Trebor
    Membership Sec and 1st Reserve Standard Bearer. PRI manager
    by Trebor
    This years’ service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 14th September 2024 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.

The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.

The chapel service will be followed by a parade down to the Ulster Ash Grove for the laying of wreathes.

Following the laying of the wreathes, there will be a 15-minute pause before
    12-03-2024, 03:17 PM
  • Northern Ireland Veterans' Association Service of Remembrance 2023
    Trebor
    Membership Sec and 1st Reserve Standard Bearer. PRI manager
    by Trebor
    Northern Ireland Veterans' Association

Service of Remembrance
    National Memorial Arboretum
    Saturday 9th September 2023

This years’ service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 9th September 2023 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.

The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.

The chapel...
    05-06-2023, 04:25 PM
  • NMA Commemoration service 2022.
    Jock2413
    Site Guardian
    by Jock2413
    This year's service will be held at the NMA on Saturday 10th September. At present, we won't be aware of restrictions, if any, that the NMA will impose on attendees (pre booking cars, names etc) but as this information is made available to us, we will publish it.
    08-02-2022, 09:14 PM
  • NIVA Service of Remembrance 2021
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster
    NIVA Service Of Remembrance

The 2021 service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 11th September 2021 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.The chapel service will be followed by a parade down to the Ulster Ash Grove for the laying of wreathes. ...
    04-04-2021, 07:45 PM
  • NMA 2020 small service
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster

Ten members and wives assembled today at the Ulster Ash Grove to represent all our members for the Act of Remembrance. ...
    19-09-2020, 07:26 PM
  • Ken Anderson (DeadHorse) 1947-2020
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster

It is our sad duty to inform you that Ken passed away on Thursday 19th March 2020 after a brief struggle with cancer.
    A full obituary will be published in the forthcoming Newsletter.

The NIVA Annual Service of Remembrance was booked with the NMA to take place on Saturday 12th September 2020. Since that booking was made, we have been advised that the NMA is closed for the foreseeable future. Alternative arrangements may have to be made. Keep logging in to follow and
    25-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Working...
X