• In Memory Of

    Corporal TERENCE GAVIN O'NEILL
  • NIVA Upcoming Events

    NIVA Service of Remembrance

    On Sat Sep 8th 2018

  • About NIVA

    Welcome to the website of the Northern Ireland Veterans Association (NIVA).


    NIVA is an internet based association (registered with COBSEO) with forum users and members all over the UK and abroad. Primarily for veterans of the Op Banner campaign from 1969 to 2007, be they ex or serving members of the UK armed forces, PSNI, NI fire/ambulance or prison services, we also particularly welcome relatives of the fallen.


    To register on the site as a forum user only, please **Click Here**. NB - for security reasons all applications are vetted and once admitted, permitted access to the open parts of the website/forum only. This is absolutely free to use.


    To join as a full or associate member of NIVA once registered on the forums, please follow the link in the downloads section of the site to download a membership application form which should be returned to the address shown together with payment and proof of service etc. All monies raised go towards the upkeep of the website and the organisation of NIVA's annual service of remembrance at the NMA in Alrewas. Full/associate members also gain admittance to the private areas of the website/forum where comrades can be assured of their personal security and enjoy all the banter and support you came to expect whilst serving the Crown. Additionally full members are invited to march with NIVA for Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph in London.


    If you have any queries please contact us at:


    The Northern Ireland Veterans Association
    PO Box 584
    Mexborough
    South Yorkshire
    S63 3FW

  • Omagh bomb: 'Government intelligence failures mean fresh public inquiry needed'

    Intelligence failures by the British and Irish authorities in the handling of the Omagh bomb case has left a blot on their reputations that only a full public inquiry can address, families of some of the victims have insisted.

    Relatives urged the London and Dublin governments to tell the whole truth about alleged security gaffes in the lead-up to the Real IRA attack in August 1998, and the subsequent investigation, as they presented parts of a new report documenting their claims.

    The families say the information, which they are only publishing in part because they claim most is too sensitive, outlines new evidence that indicates opportunities were missed to prevent the bombing and subsequently to catch the killers.

    Twenty-nine people, including a woman pregnant with twins, died when the car bomb ripped through the Co Tyrone town.

    While no one has been criminally convicted of the crime, four republicans were found liable for the atrocity in a landmark civil case taken by some of the bereaved relatives and ordered to pay 1.6 million compensation.

    Michael Gallagher, whose son Aidan died in the bombing, said: "We feel there was an enormous amount of intelligence available, that intelligence was not used properly and as a result of this we have had no convictions.

    "It's very damning and it's a blot on both governments. For that reason we are calling on both governments to come together and tell the truth, tell what happened on that day."

    The two governments were given the families' report in June last year. Mr Gallagher said the relatives have yet to receive a substantive response from either.