Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Bloody Belfast: An Oral History of the British Army's War Against the IRA

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
    Grimster
    Webmeister

• Bloody Belfast: An Oral History of the British Army's War Against the IRA

Click image for larger version

Name:	belfast.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	303161Bloody Belfast is a fascinating oral history given a chilling insight into the killing grounds of Belfast’s streets.

Wharton’s work is based on first hand accounts from the soldiers who experienced the violence in Belfast. The reader can walk the darkened, dangerous streets of the Lower Falls, the Divis Street, and new Lodge alongside the soldiers who braved the hate-filled mobs on the newer, but no less violent streets of the ‘Murph, Turf Lodge, and Andersonstown.

Wharton’s reputation for honesty established from previous works has encouraged more former soldiers of Britain’s forgotten army to come forward to tell their stories of "Bloody Belfast."
    The book continues the story of his previous work, presenting the truth about a conflict which has been deliberately underplayed by the MOD.

Available from Amazon and all good book retailers. Get yours by clicking here
    Attached Files

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      That'd be the chain wot holds the plug for his new book, mate - "Aussies in VietNam - Where's the Barbie, Yank?" to be sold at all good newsagents.

• Lynx7
      Lynx7
      Association Member
      Lynx7 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have recently ordered a copy of this book from my local library, it cost a quid to order a book they have not got but coincidentally I was at the Peace Centre in Warrington on a short course 16-18 April 10 and they had a copy. This new book is thinner than previous ones but seems a more glossy product. I did not have the time to read all the accounts but are smiler to past volumes. There are new photographs not previously seen before as I imagine they have been contributed by those whose story's feature and it has photographs of where the barracks had been which should interest anyone who served there or new someone who had. As there is a story in it from a LCPL Gazelle Aircrewman doing Top Cover Watch over Belfast I suppose I might buy it out of interest. Personally I found the list of casualties at the back a useful reminder tool. Recommended

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      The book opened a Pandora's Box of emotions! I managed half of it this year. Perhaps next year i can muster the courage and finish it. Sorry Ken!
    Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• NIVA  Service of Remembrance Saturday 14th September 2024   
    Trebor
    Membership Sec and 1st Reserve Standard Bearer. PRI manager
    by Trebor
    This years’ service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 14th September 2024 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.

The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.

The chapel service will be followed by a parade down to the Ulster Ash Grove for the laying of wreathes.

Following the laying of the wreathes, there will be a 15-minute pause before
    12-03-2024, 03:17 PM
  • Northern Ireland Veterans' Association Service of Remembrance 2023
    Trebor
    Membership Sec and 1st Reserve Standard Bearer. PRI manager
    by Trebor
    Northern Ireland Veterans' Association

Service of Remembrance
    National Memorial Arboretum
    Saturday 9th September 2023

This years’ service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 9th September 2023 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.

The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.

The chapel...
    05-06-2023, 04:25 PM
  • NMA Commemoration service 2022.
    Jock2413
    Site Guardian
    by Jock2413
    This year's service will be held at the NMA on Saturday 10th September. At present, we won't be aware of restrictions, if any, that the NMA will impose on attendees (pre booking cars, names etc) but as this information is made available to us, we will publish it.
    08-02-2022, 09:14 PM
  • NIVA Service of Remembrance 2021
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster
    NIVA Service Of Remembrance

The 2021 service will be held at 11.30am on Saturday 11th September 2021 at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffordshire.The service will commemorate and remember all those who lost their lives in service of the Crown as a result of the conflict in N. Ireland.The chapel service will be followed by a parade down to the Ulster Ash Grove for the laying of wreathes. ...
    04-04-2021, 07:45 PM
  • NMA 2020 small service
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster

Ten members and wives assembled today at the Ulster Ash Grove to represent all our members for the Act of Remembrance. ...
    19-09-2020, 07:26 PM
  • Ken Anderson (DeadHorse) 1947-2020
    Grimster
    Webmeister
    by Grimster

It is our sad duty to inform you that Ken passed away on Thursday 19th March 2020 after a brief struggle with cancer.
    A full obituary will be published in the forthcoming Newsletter.

The NIVA Annual Service of Remembrance was booked with the NMA to take place on Saturday 12th September 2020. Since that booking was made, we have been advised that the NMA is closed for the foreseeable future. Alternative arrangements may have to be made. Keep logging in to follow and
    25-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Working...
X