Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Northern Ireland Veterans Association

Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Grimster
    Webmeister

• 10 October 1969. Ulster's B Specials to be disbanded.

10 October 1969. Ulster's B Specials to be disbanded.

The British Government has accepted the recommendations of the Hunt committee on policing in Northern Ireland which include the abolition of the Ulster Special Constabulary, known as the 'B Specials'.

The Home Secretary, Jim Callaghan, ordered a commission, headed by Lord Hunt, in response to this summer's violence in the Bogside area of Londonderry.

The subsequent report recommends a complete reorganisation and disarming of ...
    See more | Go to post
  • Grimster
    Webmeister

• Ex-soldier Mike finally gets off the treadmill

Ex-soldier Mike finally gets off the treadmill

A former soldier has run into the record books by smashing a world treadmill record. Mike Buss now has the record for the longest distance covered on a treadmill in seven days - 517.25 miles - breaking the previous record of 468 miles. Mr Buss, 35, ran the equivalent of three marathons a day at Swindon's Brunel Shopping Centre, with only two hours' sleep a day and brief food and massage breaks. The former Army physical training instructor burned 11,000 calories a day and lost 8lb during the week, as well as two toenails. ...
    See more | Go to post

• Paratrooper who lost legs is British skydive champ

Paratrooper who lost legs is British skydive champ

When paratrooper Alistair Hodgson was blown up by terrorists he begged a friend to put him out of his misery.

“One leg was gone, the other was just mashed up bone held together with nerves and veins,” he says.

“When the first guy got to me I said, ‘Just shoot me. You can’t leave me like this’.

“He told me to f*** off and thank God he did. He fetched a paramedic for me, put on tourniquets and saved my life.”That was 17 years ago on the streets of Northern Ireland. Today Alistair is the British National Freestyle ...
    See more | Go to post
  • Grimster
    Webmeister

• Defence cuts 'will shrink UK armed forces'

Defence cuts 'will shrink UK armed forces'

The British armed forces could be forced to shrink by up to a fifth because of a lack of money, a military think tank has predicted.

The Royal United Services Institute said the number of trained military personnel could fall from 175,000 to little more than 140,000 by 2016.
    Its report said the cost of troops and equipment was rising, and major cuts were "inevitable".
    The Ministry of Defence said budgets would not be cut at all next year.
    See more | Go to post
  • Grimster
    Webmeister

• Soldiers returning from Afghanistan threatened with arrest by 'jobsworth' ticket inspector.

Soldiers returning from Afghanistan threatened with arrest by 'jobsworth' ticket inspector.

Three soldiers returning from Afghanistan were ordered off a train and threatened with arrest by a 'jobsworth' ticket inspector. The men from the Intelligence Corps were on their way home from Helmand for a fortnight's rest and recuperation when he challenged them, claiming their rail warrants were not valid. ...
    See more | Go to post

• 14th August 1969. British Troops Deployed In Ulster.

14th August 1969. British Troops Deployed In Ulster.

The British Government has sent troops into Northern Ireland in what it says is a "limited operation" to restore law and order.

The British Government has sent troops into Northern Ireland in what it says is a "limited operation" to restore law and order.
    See more | Go to post
  • webmaster
    Webmeister

• Hi - and welcome to the new NIVA site

Hi - and welcome to the new NIVA site

From all the NIVA Administrators, welcome. Well, it's finally happened and we've taken the plunge to update the site with new software which will be more secure, easier to administer and better supported. So I thought I'd take this opportunity to take you through a few things you might find useful, we've tried to keep the overall experience familiar and recognisable, whilst offering new and improved features for our members. The first thing you'll notice of course is this new CMS (or Community Management System) that takes over these ...
    See more | Go to post
  • On1on
    Association Member

• Op Banner 50th Anniversary Commemoration

Op Banner 50th Anniversary Commemoration

Please feel free to copy this and spread it far and wide:

NIVA Op Banner 50th Anniversary Parade

August 2019 will be the 50th anniversary of British military forces
    See more | Go to post
There are no articles in this category.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Please log in to your account to view your subscribed posts.

Latest Articles

Collapse

Working...
X