Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Sgt John (Ernie) Platt, 14/20th Hussars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt John (Ernie) Platt, 14/20th Hussars

3rd February, 1971

Ernie was vehicle cmdr in a the lead Land Rover of a mobile patrol, returning to their base at Aldergrove. As they approached a sharp left-hand bend a short distance from the base, they came under fire.
    Rounds struck the lead vehicle, and the driver took evasive action by driving the vehicle into a nearby field. The vehicle smashed into a wooden fence, and part of it came through the windscreen, killing Ernie instantly.

Always remembered.

We Will Remember Him

bobc............

Comment

Thanks for posting this in my absence, Stevie. Ernie was good mate of mine, sadly missed for nearly 40 years.
      RIP.

Comment

We will remember them......

Comment

Lest we forget
          Andy
          If Harry Black can't fix it . . . . . its fcuked

And he can't fix me

Comment

We will always remember

Comment

This statement needs to be removed, because it is not true. I knows this having been in contact with the person who was a passenger with him at the time of the accident.

Comment

Rest peacefully.
                In memory of Colour Sergeant John Michael Morrell - my big brother, my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanish Al View Post
                  This statement needs to be removed, because it is not true. I knows this having been in contact with the person who was a passenger with him at the time of the accident.
                  So what really happened Al. It is important that whatever gets posted on this part of the site is a accurate as possible.
                  You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

There's no 'Lost Lives' entry, and anyway, Slapper would know?
                    Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Ernie and two or three others had been (sent)? to the village of Crumlin that night, in civies, to visit a few local pubs.......Crumlin was then, (and may still be), mostly Republican. Later, and by arrangement, they were picked up by an RAF driver from Aldergrove, in one of the brand new air portable Rovers. On the return journey, and on a very tight left hand bend, the driver suddenly swerved to the left, went up a banking, and through a wooden ranch style fence, a section of which went through the Rover, and fatally injured Ernie. (I wont go into details here).
                      The shaken driver said he had seen a man lying in the undergrowth, to the right of the bend, and had swerved to the left. A crash out troop, accompanied by two RAF police, searched the area, and on the verge found a full M1 magazine, plus some home made caltraps in the road. These were handed in to the duty officer. Next morning the RAF driver concerned was posted, the fence repaired, the Rover removed by low loader, and the official story was released that Ernie had died as a result of an RTA. Nothing else was ever said.
                      I knew Ernie, and the passengers in the Rover, well. The Troop Sgt of the crash out troop passed away some time ago, however, I can confirm the above, as I found one of the caltraps.

At this time, the MOD were working hard to prevent any reports of the first British Soldier to be killed by enemy action in NI hitting the press. You can read into that what you will.
                      Last edited by Guest; 16-05-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Ernie (circled) shortly before his tragic death, acting in a Christmas panto for the disabled children of Muckamore Abbey, Antrim.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This plaque was donated by Big Stevie, and left at the spot where Ernie fell, some years ago.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I copied this statement from our Regt site, it's from a guy I know and respect:
                            I'd like to clarify the story, Ernie and I were good friends, when he came back to Aldergrove after his sick leave for broken ribs he asked me to go for a drink in Crumlin, a small village on the other side of the runway,as we were both stood down for the night we went. I'm pretty sure it was his first day back.
                            We had a few pints and when we left we saw an RAF landrover at the back of the pub and the driver talking to a girl.We asked if he was going back to camp and could we get a lift.
                            As we approached the land rover I said to Ernie I'll get in first, which would mean me sitting on the battery box in the middle, and only being a L/Cpl it only seemed right.Ernie being his normal self said it's ok it's only a short trip and got in first leaving me to sit in the passenger seat.
                            The road back crossed the runway and had a stout wooden fence at either side to stop cars going onto the runway,
                            I don't know how it happened but suddenly we were off the road and ploughed into the fence.
                            Three lengths of wood came through the dash board, the first one grazed my side, the second hit me in the balls causing me to double up in pain and be violently sick. By the time I had recovered my wits the driver had got the veh. back on the road, it was very dark and the only light was from the dashboard but I could see Ernie was hurt.The third bit had hit him in the chest.
                            The driver did the right thing and and drove to the guard room,only a couple of minutes away.
                            I was taken away to be treated and didn't see Ernie again.About an hour later Maj. Harman came to tell that he had died from his injuries.
                            In March when we were back in Tidworth I was sent back to Antrim Court,the driver had been charged by the civilian police with dangerous /reckless driving , or something like that.He was given a small fine and banned for 3 months, which at the time pissed me off big time.
                            For quite a while after the event I felt very guilty, there is probrobly a name for that,by all accounts it should have been me sitting in the middle.
                            I would like to say to his family that you have every right to be proud of him,Ernie was a good soldier, a cracking bloke and a Gentleman.

Comment

I would like to say to his family that you have every right to be proud of him,Ernie was a good soldier, a cracking bloke and a Gentleman.
                              Better this is left at the above statement. Many years have passed since the incident in question, suffice to say that Ernie's untimely death was a great shock to all who knew and respected him. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X