Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

WWI veteran's tribute to comrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI veteran's tribute to comrades

WWI veteran's tribute to comrades

The last British veteran of the World War I trenches has laid a wreath in honour of his fallen comrades at a Remembrance service in Wells, Somerset.

Harry Patch, 110, who fought in the battle of Passchendaele said: "It was 90 years ago. But you can't forget it."

After the service at St Cuthbert's Church Mr Patch laid a tribute on behalf of the Wells Branch of the Royal British Legion.

Later he joked: "It's too much fuss about nothing. I just did my duty."

Mr Patch was then wheeled half-a-mile uphill to the Bishop's Palace, as part of a parade which included representatives from HMS Somerset and The Rifles.

Bravery praised

After the service Mr Patch, who struggles to hear, was asked what was going though his mind during the service.

He said: "I was thinking about my three mates that I lost. They were just like me - civilians."

During the ceremony, Mr Patch's bravery was praised by lay reader Alastair Glanvile who gave the sermon.

Speaking to the 500-strong congregation, Mr Glanvile said: "We are honoured and pleased this morning to welcome Harry Patch. Harry symbolises the men who died and the men who came home from the conflict."

He added: "We are the tomorrow that Harry Patch and his comrades fell for, that Harry and his comrades fought for. We are also the tomorrow of men who fell in the Second World War and the conflicts since."

Harry, who has the Freedom of the City of Wells, is the second oldest person in Britain behind Henry Allingham, 112, who served in France with the Royal Naval Air Service and did not take part in trench fighting.

Mr Patch, who grew up in Coombe Down near Bath, and now lives in a Somerset nursing home, never spoke in public about WWI until he turned 100.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...et/7718690.stm

Published: 2008/11/09

I have read Mr Patch's book and have nothing more than the greatest respect for this man. He served as a member of a machine gun crew and the desciptions he gives are just breathtaking.

I am glad that he is able to remember his "mates" in this way.

Comment

I sat with Harry last month amongst the killing fields of Flanders. He opened a brand new memorial and he paid for the said memorial. It is to the Great War generation and afterwards, together we ate some cheese and salami and drank a beer or two. Harry then broke down whilst we spoke together on the banks of the Steenbeke, in which he crossed 92 ago. I asked him if the crossing was that bad? With tears in his eyes, he then told me his Lewis gun team was ordered to put suppressing fire into a bunker called Au Bon Gite to his front. This we did he said as there many field grey coloured soldiers around the redoubt. Then one of our runners appeared and told us, " STOP FIRING! YOU ARE SHOOTING DOWN OUR LADS DOWN AS WELL " Oh my God said Harry, how were we to know? They were all wearing field grey! The Flanders mud has alot to answer for! Harry let it all flow and I could of hugged him forever. This week, I received a personal letter from Harry. Thank you Chris for coming with me to that terrible spot with me he said. Do you think they will ever forgive us?
      Oh Harry, it will be a terrible day when you are gone. This day will surely happen in the not so long future but I promise you all this! I will always remember this last fighting Tommy and mark my words. That little memorial on the banks of the Steenbeke will always have a little poppy cross stating those immortal words, " At the going down of the Sun and in the morning, we will remember you"
      Fear Naught Harry.
      Best wishes
      Switches.

Comment

Switches, you are a lucky man to have had the pleasure of meeting Harry. Harry's commrades will forgive him when they meet again, he is a remarkable man.

WE WILL REMEMBER ALL THE FALLEN

bobc........

Comment

I'm proud of you Chris - you did for Harry what we would do for any of our own. It must have been a privilege indeed mate.

Mr Patch sir, you'll outlive the bloody lot of us. Here's to you and your friends.

Comment

Working...
          X