Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

S/Sgt Ronald Beckett RAOC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/Sgt Ronald Beckett RAOC

S/Sgt Ronald Beckett Age 37 RAOC 1973
    died as he dragged a 20 lb bomb from a post office in the border village of Tullyhommon. The bomb had been left by two carloads of IRA men.

The ultimate unselfish act, this is what the NIVA website is about...honour & rememberance

Comment

He was tragically killed like so many of our comrades after a cowardly attack on the village, where a small boy was also hit by small arms fire, the device was on the counter of the post Office which was right on the border, opposite a garage which was also blown up, I believe it belonged to a UDR member, the device was detontaed by terrorists as he re entered, after a controlled explosion failed to go off,

RIP Ron

Comment

I've tried to google Ron and only come across a few bits and pieces about him and I've realised that after such a courageous act that he was never awarded anything for his ultimate sacrifice. In a time when the papers are demanding Kinighthoods for Olympians (Who incidentally are paid far more than any Serviceman/woman could dream of) I feel this is unjust and pressure should be applied to this Government to reward such unselfish acts of Gallantry Posthumously.

Rest in Peace Ron.

Comment

agree

I agree Tommo, we will remember and honour him.
          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

bobc.........

Comment

Working...
            X