Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

WO(RSM) 1 Richard Michael Heakin RRW.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WO(RSM) 1 Richard Michael Heakin RRW.

Richard Michael Heakin, 38 years old, a Warrant Officer 1st Class of the RRW was killed by I.R.A. gunmen on Aug. 12 1988 in the Belgian port of Ostend. He had stopped his car for a traffic light. His death came after a spate of attacks on British soldiers outside Ireland that is believed to be the work of the I.R.A.
    His funeral was held in Knighton, Wales, were more than 1,000 mourners attended the funeral.

I was in German at the time the thought to all of us was it could have been any of us going on leave. Our cars had Black and white BFG plates easy to spot. Some lads I knew once they cross the German Border put normal UK plates of the BFG VRN on to, tried and hided they fact they were British Soldiers.
    By Xmas 1988 all cars were given a new UK number a UK Tax disc to try and give any soldier a safer trip backwards and forward between BAOR and the UK.

Remember

We will remember him.
    The cowards knew no boundaries, they would kill unarmed people anywhere, they even shot an Aussie tourist, mistook him for a Brit squaddie.
    Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

We Will Remember Him

bobc.........

Comment

WO1 Michael Heakin was a personal freind. He was the RSM of 1 RRW whilst I was the Chief Clerk (ORQMS). His murder came as a huge shock to all that knew him. I have never known a battalion to grieve the way 1 RRW did for the following weeks after his death. I will always remember him as a fair and kind RSM, who was liked by all in the Battalion.

Comment

I was in Munster when this happened, there was an active ASU in Germany who carried out several attacks. I can remember two of them, one was a shoot at a soldier on a run, fortunately his bullet proof PE Kit saved him and he escaped unscathed; can't remember where that happened.In Munster; RMPs answered an emergency call from a phone box; when they arrived the box was in darkness; they were then attacked by automatic weapons fire; one of the RMPs was injured; he was due to get married; which may have helped his recovery; because he got down the aisle. The car was an absolute mess; it was brought into Portsmouth Barracks as we were duty recovery; I was amazed anyone survived the attack; the car was like swiss cheese.

I'm sure there was at least one other attack; but the old grey matter is failing me again!

Comment

WO1 (RSM) Richard Michael Heakin RRW.

WO1 (RSM) Heakin sword sits in pride of place in the Warrant Officers and Sergeants Mess, now 2 Royal Welsh along with a picture of him. The sword is worn with pride by the Regimental Sergeant Major of the Battalion. His name lives on forever more within the Regiment.

Dai 29
            RSM 2 R Welsh 2008-2010

Comment

Working...
            X