Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Hyde Park 20th July 1982.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyde Park 20th July 1982.

In Memory of
    Lt Anthony Daly aged 23
    SQMC Roy Bright aged 36
    Lcpl Jeffrey Young aged 19
    Tpr Simon Tipper aged 19

The Blues and Royals

O Lord Jesus Christ who by the Holy Apostle has called us to put on the
    armour of God and to take the sword of the spirit, give thy grace we pray thee,
    to the Blues and Royals that we may fight manfully under thy banner against all
    evil, and waiting on thee to renew our strength, may mount up with wings as
    eagles, in thy name, who livest and reignest with the Father and the Holy
    Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

Men and horses lay dead and dying in the park

Detective Inspector John Stevens was one of the first police officers to see the carnage of the IRA Hyde Park bombing in 1982
    WE came on a scene of appalling devastation in the South Carriageway, on the bottom edge of the park.

A bomb loaded with 4in and 6in nails had been detonated by remote control in a blue Morris Marina, just as the Queen’s Lifeguard, a detachment of the Household Calvary, was passing on its way from Knightsbridge Barracks to Horse Guards Parade. Men and horses lay dead or dying, and more than twenty people, as well as several horses, had been severely injured.

The regimental farriers, who had sprinted from their barracks when they heard the explosion, were splashed with blood from head to foot on their bare torsos and long leather aprons. Debris was scattered everywhere, and human remains were being taken away. The atmosphere was desperately tense, for there was every chance that a second bomb might go off.

The regiment’s commander, Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Parker-Bowles, had raced to the scene on foot, and as he arrived had met a groom leading a severely wounded horse, which had blood gushing from a huge hole in its neck.

Immediately he told the man to take off his shirt and stuff it into the wound — but that was impossible, for one of the groom's hands had been pierced by a four-inch nail, which was sticking out on both sides. Another man sacrificed his shirt and staunched the blood. But for that, the horse would never have reached its stable. It survived and became a hero — Sefton — and lived to the age of thirty.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle566235.ece

Bloody awfull cowardly attack! BASTARDS!
    How on earth could you of all people forget that one mate! :x
    Chin up and as your comrades in black say:
    FEAR NAUGHT MATE.

Comment

Our thoughts are still with their families still, as is with you mate.

Be strong.

Comment

Thinking of you and all those lads and families, mate.

We will never forget

Comment

In our memories forever......rest easy lads

Comment

A terrible day - one felt personally by all. Those who felt their loss the most are in our thoughts today. Keith, stay strong mate.

"At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them."

"WE WIL REMEMBER THEM."

Comment

rememberance

They will not be forgotten.
              This cowardly act should regularly be broadcast to america where the money to do it came from.
              Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

and the ira think they were soldiers..........................

Comment

Remembered Always

bobc.........

Comment

This still feels like yesterday. I can remember the men clearly. So young. 2 of them married less than a month.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                      Because those that matter, don't mind.
                      And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Somewhere there's place for me

I was in Germany when this atrocity took place. In between tours of NI, I was tying to learn how better to map read at 120kts (134mph approx) at 50ft in a Gazelle so that the pilots who I flew with would not say they would rather take the extra fuel than an Aircrewman. They could be so cruel to such a sensitive soul as I.

More recently I was reminded of it in London.

I was there on the 19 May 2012 for an AAC Association Dinner, that had been cancelled at short notice due to lack of interest. As I had booked train tickets £80 and accommodation £93, ages ago I thought I might as well use them anyway. As it turned out I had a great weekend, visiting art galleries, dancing to Northern Soul and having a meal with a journalist friend I know from the Peace Centre in Warrington.

On the Sunday, who should I meet but the Regt Col of the AAC Association who I had expressed my grateful thanks too in an email for the return of my £15 Dinner ticket only as a blunt disappointed Northerner and cynical ex-soldier can on the sad state of the Association and Britain in general, you get the picture.

Anyway I found out he was also down for the weekend as it was the Combined Cavalry and Old Comrades Parade and Memorial Service in Hyde Park that day. Which was what triggered the memory of the bombing. So I put on my suit and Syrna Tie and wondered down to Hyde Park. I took some photographs as I do and later met a Chelsea Pensioner I had seen recently on TV wearing an Observers Wing.

He had been an Aircrewman Observer when the Calvary had three Skeeter Helicopters per Regt till the MOD decided, like they eventually did with tanks and horses for fighting (RTR), that maybe dedicated Helicopter Regts might be a good idea (AAC), pity they let the RAF keep the really big useful ones. I can't say I saw much difference sat in the front of a Lynx than when I saw the front of a Chinook or in an Islander and a Hercules for that matter but what did I know about flying I was only an Aircrewman?

Combined Cavalry (86).jpgCombined Cavalry (16).jpg
                        Attached Files
                        Lynx7
                        Association Member
                        Last edited by Lynx7; 30-05-2012, 02:18 PM.
                        Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

RIP. Always remembered.
                          In memory of Colour Sergeant John Michael Morrell - my big brother, my hero.

Comment

Working...
                          X