Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

S/Sgt David Deacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/Sgt David Deacon

S/Sgt David Deacon Age 39 UDR 1973

His hooded body found 4 miles outside of Derry after being shot presumably by the IRA.

David Deacon was 39 years old when he was murdered, and was married with four children.

His hooded body was found by a passing motorist four miles outside the city of Londonderry on the Letterkenny Road where he had been shot, presumably by the IRA. He was found lying face down on a grass verge. The Sergeant, who originally came from England, had been abducted the previous day and his Triumph estate car was found burnt out in a lane near the border at Bridgend. His body was found near the Molenan customs post. He had been shot in the head, and was hooded with his hands tied behind his back. Two men running away from the scene, and apparently carrying a rifle, were shot at by the Army, but they escaped across the border. One of the men was said to have been limping. The Deacon family came from Glenbank Road in Londonderry and, according to the book 'The Ulster Defence Regiment' by Chris Ryder; ‘Eight years later the Sergeant’s wife, Sylvia, joined with four other women whose husbands, RUC and UDR members, had been murdered, to form “Widow’s Mite” to tell the world their side of the story and counter IRA propaganda’. The author wrote: 'Mr. Deacon’s gold wedding ring, recast into the shape of the ancient mite and engraved with the symbol of a lighted candle, was dedicated at St Anne’s cathedral in Belfast'.

A Brave Man and True

Lest We Forget

Comment

The Ulster Defence Regiment' by Chris Ryder a books that shows use how those of the UDR were very brave people. It is a very good Book.

Comment

And a picture of yours truly in it ... but that's another story.
        With all due respect and humility Keith, I hear what you're saying, but I get more than a wee bit embarrassed when people call us brave ... to us we were just doing our duty, OK the price was higher and the risks greater, but we don't consider ourselves brave mate ops: ops:

Comment

I know what you mean Jimmy but please I do mean it. You had to face each day not knowing if that knock on the door was safe or not. Even after checking your cars the thought you may have miss something.
          Those who thought killing was the answer live in another world .

Must find the photo put it near my beer when Andy comes up

Comment

Lest We Forget

Comment

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Comment

We Will Remember Them

bobc.........

Comment

RIP.

Comment

We Will Remember Him