Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

December 21st 1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 21st 1978

1st Battalion Grenadier Guards, Crossmaglen, S.Armagh

Gdsm Glen Ling 18, single, Saxmundham, Suffolk

Gdsm Graham Duggan, 22, single, Lymm, Cheshire

Gdsm Kevin Johnson, 20, single, Blackpool, Lancashire

The three soldiers were in the lead of an eight-man patrol in the village.
    A red Royal Mail-type van drove past them and came to a sudden stop, then a machine gun mounted in the back of the vehicle opened fire, hitting all three and scattering Christmas shoppers who had to dive for cover. Soldiers returned fire but did not claim any hits.

The soldiers were casevaced to Musgrave Park Hospital but were declared dead on arrival.

Rest in peace, men.

-------------------------------------

I didn't work down there but the memory of this murder stays with me vividly to this day, and always will.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
    In memory of all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
    May your Gods be with you.

Comment

Many years ago the was a book written called They died with the boots shining.It was about the guards in the Great War. I know Grenadier Guards those 3 guards men would have done the duty with pride their turn out would have been smart the boots polished.
      Rest young men your post has been relieved.
      You will not be forgotten.

Comment

We Will Remember Them

Comment

Either I am getting very old, or my memory is fading, but try as I might I cant remember this terrible incident. :? :? :?

May their Gods have mercy on their souls, and may their families and friends be comforted by their memory.
          RIP.

Comment

Stand down men your tour of Duty is done RIP
            We will remember them

Comment

lest we forget
              In memory of Sgt Anthony Stephen Butcher
              my dad my hero
              sua tela tonanti
              tree number 2995

babybio18@nivets.org.uk

Comment

They WILL be remembered
                John
                Royal Corps of Transport
                .......Be the Best

Comment

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM...

Comment

We Will Remember Them

bobc............

Comment

RIP.

remember the incident, the b***ards armoured the back so the rounds bounced off

Comment

Rest Easy Soldiers ... Your Duty Done

Comment

RIP

They will live on as long as we remember them.
                          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Some incidents will always stick in your mind, though you may not have been there.
                            This one is always with me, at this festive time.

Rest easy, men.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStevie View Post
                              1st Battalion Grenadier Guards, Crossmaglen, S.Armagh

Gdsm Glen Ling 18, single, Saxmundham, Suffolk

Gdsm Graham Duggan, 22, single, Lymm, Cheshire

Gdsm Kevin Johnson, 20, single, Blackpool, Lancashire

The three soldiers were in the lead of an eight-man patrol in the village.
                              A red Royal Mail-type van drove past them and came to a sudden stop, then a machine gun mounted in the back of the vehicle opened fire, hitting all three and scattering Christmas shoppers who had to dive for cover. Soldiers returned fire but did not claim any hits.

The soldiers were casevaced to Musgrave Park Hospital but were declared dead on arrival.

Rest in peace, men.

-------------------------------------

I didn't work down there but the memory of this murder stays with me vividly to this day, and always will.

09/11/2019. Writing Big Dougs cross tonight. In 1978 I attended the funeral at Lymm Cheshire, I had been going out with Dougs Sister, now married I watched her grief across where Dougs final posting would be. I visit the grave when I can. Doug's Mum is still with us, I plan to see her early next year. Doug was born on the 14th of July, I was born on the 13th. Things in life are a matter of events, we never plan our life it happens for us. I saw Doug the day he left for the final tour, as per usual he was in a hurry. Being ex REME I loaned a book to him, hoping that he could pass away those nights learning more about the Motor Tech. It hit me hard when it happened and later when Louis Mountbatten was murdered two people had gone from my past in an instance.
                              I met another member of the patrol he was on and got some closure of the event. Not reported in any official reports, the van they used was full in the back and front with blood. At least they never got away clean. Tonight thoughts go back to the past. I am better. It took help from others, but, I am old and he will be forever young. RIP Lads & Lasses.

Comment

Working...
                              X