Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Plea to save World War I Lancashire Fusilier remains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plea to save World War I Lancashire Fusilier remains

Plea to save World War I Lancashire Fusilier remains

Sir Gilbert died in 1962 and did not leave any children
    A historian is appealing to the relatives of a Lancashire World War I soldier after the Spanish authorities placed an eviction notice on his grave.
    Sir Gilbert Mackereth, whose body is buried in a San Sebastian cemetery, will be exhumed and disposed of due to unpaid taxes on the plot.
    Terry Dean, of the Western Front Association, wants to bring his ashes back to The Fusilier Museum in Bury.
    Sir Gilbert commanded the 17th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.
    He was awarded the Military Cross for his outstanding bravery during WWI.
    In April 1917 he crawled into no man's land in Saint Quentin in France to rescue a group of soldiers who were lost and in danger. He took control and saved them all.
    Mr Dean is determined to make sure his remains are not just exhumed and scattered in Spain, but should be brought back to Lancashire.

By the sounds of it he was a great man who shot up the ranks in the British Army
    Terry Dean, local historian
    Sir Gilbert's wife died in 1979, 17 years after her husband passed away and they did not have any children. The council in San Sebastian have no other family contact, hence Mr Dean's plea to any relatives.
    After reading and writing about Sir Gilbert's life, he visited the war hero's grave and laid a poppy tribute and a note last summer.
    Just months after his visit, he received an e-mail from a local resident, Cristina Garcia, who had seen an eviction note on Sir Gilbert's grave and wanted to warn the historian.
    Since, Mr Dean, has written to the Spanish authorities, his local MEPs and the Western Front Association and is desperate for any relatives to come forward.
    Roll of honour
    Mr Dean, of Preston, believes he may have family in Bolton, who have the surname of Hornby.
    Sir Gilbert's father had four sisters and in the 1880s his paternal grandfather was Minister of the New Jerusalem Church in Bolton.
    He said: "I really want to bring his remains back to this country and see his ashes scattered in the Gallipoli gardens at the Fusilier Museum.
    "By the sounds of it he was a great man who shot up the ranks in the British Army.
    "I want to establish a roll of honour, called Mackereth, so we can put the names of any other soldiers who have had their remains scattered here."
    Mr Dean has received several e-mails from the Spanish authorities who said: "The owners of the grave of Sir Gilbert Mackereth owed the total of 330,22 euros, for maintenance of cemeteries.
    "If someone wants to dispose of his remains they would pay 662,46 euros, and come here to take his remains.
    "If there is not anybody to take care of this we are going to take his remains and give the grave to someone else."
    The local funeral service in Spain have said his remains could be retrieved.

This is the sort of story that makes me sad. Surely somehow, somewhere £500 and transport fees can be raised so that one of our heroes can have a final resting place. As a member of the Regiment that won several VC's before breakfast at Gallipoli, he surely deserves better treatment. Instead of Lord Ashcroft wasting his money trying to get a bunch of hooray Henrys elected, the majority of whom have never heard a shot fired in anger, he could use some of his "non dom" tax break to finance a worthy cause such as this one.
    You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

The Spanish grave of a British World War I hero has been saved after an appeal to trace his relatives.
      Authorities were threatening to exhume the body of Sir Gilbert Mackereth, who is buried in a San Sebastian cemetery, because of unpaid taxes on the plot.
      Terry Dean, of the Western Front Association, spoke about the Salford-born soldier to the BBC on Thursday and had traced his cousin by that evening.
      The Sun newspaper has paid the 330 euro (£287) tax owed on the plot.
      Sir Gilbert, who commanded the 17th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, was awarded the Military Cross for his outstanding bravery during WWI.
      In April 1917 he crawled into no man's land in Saint Quentin in France to rescue a group of soldiers who were lost and in danger. He took control and saved them all.

Comment

Nice Ending. I don't usually say nice things about the Sun ..........but well done.

Comment

Good news. I hate to say anything good about the Sun newspaper, but that was a nice gesture.
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Working...
          X