Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Heavy US losses in Afghan battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy US losses in Afghan battle

Eight American soldiers and two Afghan troops have been killed in the deadliest attack on coalition troops for more than a year, officials say.

The battle happened in Nuristan province in the remote east of the country when military outposts were attacked, a Nato statement said.

The Taliban said it carried out the attack, and had captured local police.

Violence has escalated in eastern Afghanistan as insurgents have relocated from the south.

In a statement, Nato's International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said that tribal militia launched attacks on foreign and Afghan military outposts from a mosque and a nearby village.

My heart goes out to the families of those we have lost and to their fellow soldiers who remained to finish the fight... Both the US and Afghan soldiers fought bravely together

Col Randy George
    US area commander
    The attack is thought to have taken place in the Kamdesh district of Nuristan, and lasted several hours.

"Coalition forces effectively repelled the attack and inflicted heavy enemy casualties while eight Isaf and two ANSF [Afghan National Security Forces] members were killed," the statement said.

The US area commander, Col Randy George, said his heart went out to the bereaved families, adding that US and Afghan soldiers had "fought bravely together".

It was the worst loss coalition troops have suffered since August 2008, when 10 French troops were killed in an ambush in Kabul province.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the movement was behind the attack.

According to AP news agency, Mr Mujahid also said some 35 Afghan police officers had been taken into Taliban custody, and their fate would be decided by a council.

A local deputy police chief is reported to have said contact had been lost with 19 police officers, though the provincial governor is quoted as denying any such development.

I dread to think of what will happen to those Afghan Police, when Kipling wrote about the Afghans he wasn't kidding...

I hope it's quick.

Comment

My own Thought exactly.
      A Personal nightmare for years now
      one I can say I'm not alone with

Comment

Interesting that they report that the taliban are re-deploying from the south.
        A little respite perhaps for our lads?
        Not that I'm wishing them on the US troops at all, it's just that a respite would be welcome.

Comment

As I said before, this will turn out to be another Northern Ireland with our Troops being stationed there for years to come ... we've had too many deaths already, as have the Americans, but the same thing will happen ...... eventually they'll talk to the terrorist Taliban just as they did to terrorist Sinn Fein and they (the Talib) will end up governing the country. I support all those who serve, but knowing that this will be the final outcome just seems to make the rising death toll all the more sickening.

More Star Spangled Banners on their way home to loved ones
          As for the Afghan police, they have to live there with their families come what may.

Lest We Forget

Comment

Nuristan is to the NW of Kabul, not directly connected to Helmand but may be an attempt to divide the ISAF forces and put more pressure on what assets are available.
            In fact it is this distance that might be a key factor in this change in strategy; it would put a lot of pressure on air assets and ground units trying to reduce the local Taliban influence.

http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/dpko/unama.pdf

Comment

Working...
            X