Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

September 12 - 14, 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 12 - 14, 1981

September 12 – 14, 1981

Allan Clarke was a full-time member of 5UDR. On Saturday 12th September he was walking up Hall Street in Maghera after visiting the local bookie’s office, as was his habit.
    A car passed him and then sped away, leaving Allan lying on the pavement. He had been shot three times and swiftly lost consciousness. He died shortly after as a result of his wounds.
    His funeral was held two days later, and one of the pallbearers was his neighbour and friend John Proctor, a member of the RUC Reserve. Later that day John went to the Mid-Ulster Hospital in Magherafelt, to visit his wife who had recently given birth to a son.
    As John left the Maternity ward, he was shot and killed in the car park, by the same team who had killed his friend barely two days earlier.

Allan Clarke was 20 and single.

John Proctor was 25, married with two children.

Rest in peace, always remembered.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: The weapon used in both shootings was a Soviet SKS; the one used in both shootings was known to jam after three rounds, which put the responsibility on the South Derry ASU, originally led by Francis Hughes but by this time was being run by one of his ‘proteges’, Dominic McGlinchey.

Most of this unit’s members are believed to be dead.

lest we forget
    In memory of Sgt Anthony Stephen Butcher
    my dad my hero
    sua tela tonanti
    tree number 2995

babybio18@nivets.org.uk

Comment

We Will Remember Them

Comment

I attended the funeral of Alan Clarke
        Dominic McGlinchey was responsible for a number of other shootings and murders in the Mid Ulster area ... in one instance he murdered his next door neighbour who was an RUC Reserve Constable, having planned the murder as they sat in the house next door ... divided only by a thin wall, and gunned him down as he was on patrol outside The Elk Bar (a known Republican haunt) in Toome.

Comment

RIP A comrade never forgotten.

Comment

This is why NIVA has to go forward ...so that we can keep the memory of those we lost alive and that they can be honoured every September and November.
            I will (as I do every year) go at the RBL after Remembrance Sunday for us to be allowed to march at the Cenotaph next year...alongside our collegues from other conflicts and not behind the likes of the St Johns, London Transport and the Western Front Association.
            I am not decrying them but feel that we should march with the military column...regardless of the uniform. Just because the uniform differed didn't make the battle any different.

Comment

The bravest group of men I ever met during service in NI were the Fire Service in Belfast. They ALWAYS turned up to a shout, and fought huge fires within the risk of further bomb explosions, whilst at the same time being shot at, stoned and petrol bombed. They had no flack jackets like us, nor an armoured Pig to crouch behind.
              They must have taken a hell of a lot of casualties, but you never ever read of their exploits, nor see their wounded and lost lists. These are the so-called 'civilians' who we will march with, and without them we will never march!

Comment

memories

We will remember them and we must continue to remind others, thier sacrifice shall not be forgotten.
                Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Remembering Alan, and John, as we will with every year that passes.

'When you go home, tell them of us....'

Comment

Their memories will never fade. They will never be forgotten.

Comment

We're with you Stevie.

Lest we forget
                      Andy
                      If Harry Black can't fix it . . . . . its fcuked

And he can't fix me

Comment

We Will Remember Them
                        In tribute to L/Cpl Graham P Lambie
                        15th June 1988 Lisburn, Antrim NI

We are proud to speak your name.

'Per Ardua ad Astra'

Comment

Rest In Peace, Always Remembered...

Comment

Sad stories like this, repeated so many times, we cannot forget and never should.

Comment

We Will Remember Them

bobc..........

Comment

Working...
                              X