Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Soldier from The Mercian Regiment killed in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier from The Mercian Regiment killed in Afghanistan

Soldier from The Mercian Regiment killed in Afghanistan

It is with regret that the Ministry of Defence must announce that a British soldier from 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment was killed in Afghanistan today, Thursday 28 May 2009.

The soldier died as a result of an explosion that happened whilst on a deliberate operation near Garmsir in Helmand province this morning.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, said:

"This is an incredibly sad day for the whole of Task Force Helmand. We all feel the loss of this brave soldier, but it is his family, friends and loved ones, as well as the men and women who served alongside him, who feel the greatest pain. We offer them our deepest and heartfelt condolences, thoughts and prayers."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released.

Source:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...fghanistan.htm

We Will Remember

Comment

I heard the news this morning and as I left the office today I drove past their Regimental flag as it fluttered at half mast in the afternoon breeze ... a solumn reminder, if ever it is needed, that in the midst of the afternoon sunshine the darkness of sorrow is never far away.

Lest We Forget

Comment

Having felt the loss of a cherished one I am forced to consider, in exacting detail and feel the very human side of each and every one of our losses. Behind each one is a complicated story of grief, anger and heartache being played out - right now - in a house or houses in our country.

Comment

Working...
        X