Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Most Daring Rescue Mission Of War Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Daring Rescue Mission Of War Revealed

Dramatic new pictures of a daring rescue attempt of a British Royal Marine critically wounded during a battle in Afghanistan have been revealed.
    The crew of two Apache helicopters braved enemy fire and risked their lives trying to save 30-year-old Lance Corporal Mathew Ford.
    LCpl Ford became stranded during a British mission to flush out Taliban fighters from a fort in Helmand Province.
    The rescue - captured on video by a Royal Marine - was launched as soon as it became clear LCpl Ford was missing.
    The WAH-64 Apaches with four Royal Marines strapped to the sides and under-carriage landed inside the Taliban stronghold.
    Insurgents fired on the two aircraft as they touched down but a third Apache hovering above provided covering fire.

Sky News Story>>

Spooky - I read Ed Macy's book (one of the aircrew involved) including the account of the rescue in his book "Apache" while on holiday, couldn't put it down until I'd read it cover to cover - recommended.

Comment

I've got that book put on one side for when I go on holiday later in the summer. Glad for the recommendation Graham. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X