Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

L/Cpl David Jones, 3 Para

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L/Cpl David Jones, 3 Para

March 17th, 1978

Near Maghera, Co L'Derry

L/Cpl Jones was part of a two-man o.p. set in near the Glenshane Pass, on the outskirts of the town. They saw two armed men in full combat uniform approaching their position on foot; thinking that they might be UDR, Jones stood and shouted a challenge. At this the two men opened fire on Jones, fatally wounding him but not before he returned fire, injuring one of the men. They made their escape across fields.

A search was set up to find the two gunmen which resulted in the capture of Francis Hughes, who was wounded in the thigh. He later died on the Hunger Strike in 1981. The other gunman was not caught.

Rest easy, always remembered.

Never Forgotten.

Utrinque Paratus.

Capt

Comment

Lest We Forget

I was on the search team the night Francis Hughes was cornered and caught ... I remember it well. I remember hearing the news saying that he's died on hunger strike and, strangely enough, I've never lost any sleep over the fact that he's no longer here :roll: :roll:

Comment

I was stuck in the bloody sangar....heard all the details the same day from wee Andy McD and Billy McC. They were over the moon, they had been helping 1 Glos look for the gunmen. I can still see them coming through the gate, raking their Rovers around the square, all grins and excitement at catching Hughes.
        Pity it cost the life of a good soldier.

Comment

rememberance

I will certainly remember him as he has the same name as my brother who was RE but never went to Ulster, luck of the draw.
          Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Rest Easy Soldier

Comment

Rest easy.

Comment

Working...
              X