Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

NIVA Poppy tribute to be placed in Prague 11/11/2014.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIVA Poppy tribute to be placed in Prague 11/11/2014.

Hi all.

I am delighted to reveal I have the great honour to represent the Royal Tank Regiment with dedicated wreath at the British Embassy arranged Armistice Day ceremony in Prague city cemetery CWGC plot this year on behalf of their fallen buried within.

During my placement, I will also place a NIVA poppy tribute at the Cross of Sacrifice on behalf of all those buried or commemorated within likewise. Hope OK.

I have also arranged for a NIVA poppy tribute to be placed at the Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing on Armistice Day likewise.

Last but not least, I wish all NIVA members a most respectful Armistice Day wherever you are!

Lest We Forget

Chris.

Comment

Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

We will NOT forget mate
        Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
          Because those that matter, don't mind.
          And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

Thanks mate. Can you think about writing a piece for the newsletter (for Jan publication) covering the 100 years commemorations and Prague, Menin Remembrance? (You can have a full page in Word!) Any pics would be welcome too but send 'em to me , I'll PM my email.
            “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
            ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

I think that it is very fitting that today on 7's Sunday Night show they showed one of our VC awarded soldiers from Afghanistan, they had helmet camera footage of him running out 3 times to draw fire away from some blokes looking after a wounded mate and giving a chopper a chance to come in for pick up. He was one of those that was invited over by the royals and the showed him and his missus meeting the Queen.
              Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Such bravery astonishes us all. i hope Her Maj got him a pint as well, we know what is important to our colonial brothers.
                “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
                ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

Cheers Switches. Then again, we have come to expect no less from a stalwart like yourself.
                  Hope the lager in Prague was up to standard.
                  You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
                    ...we have come to expect no less from a stalwart like yourself..
                    What? One of them smelly, noisy things that spit fire & smoke at yer when you follow 'em, then when they get there they either burst into flames or sink in the oggin?

Comment

Driving them was like driving a tank, just go over whatever is in the way and flatten it, what bump?

Comment

There was a story going round our lot in Duisburg that a Stally driver had run over a VW Beetle during a crash-out and hadnt noticed. All four occupants deaded apparantly. I dont believe it meself, but I do know that one burned out completely along with 200 jerricans of go juice while in convoy and it provided a brilliant route marker that could be seen for miles as we approached. Another one set alight its hessian and netting while outside our block in camp. Made a sticky black patch on the parade ground it did. Two more were 'lost' in the mud at our local cross-country driving area, couldnt be recovered because they were so far bogged in and surrounded by trees, so REME stripped off the valuable bits and the engines were choppered out, leaving the hulks there to rot.
                        Often watched initiation ceremonies involving the new Stally driver being tied face outwards and spread eagled across the front and then the vehicle driving down the lines at full pelt until an emergency stop was made.
                        The vehicle would almost stand on its nose - the nose across which the victim was tied !!!!!!!
                        The worstest wot I ever experienced was when a Chatham-based Sapper crane op let me have a go of his Coles mounted on an old tenny.
                        After a couple of practice drops of the 'ook he borrowed my packet of fags, placed 'em directly under the 'ook then made me wind it all the way up.
                        I was then told to drop the 'ook until it just touched the packet.
                        I am happy to report that I did manage to smoke the fags afterwards. (I did have to buy a packet of papers though)
                        We got on well with our crane ops & plant lads, but were a bit puzzled when we saw this chap chasing after his Coles as it ran backwards into the oggin, even though he had no chance of catching it. He even waded into the water and climbed into the cab to apply the handbrake.
                        I wonder why?

Comment

Polish

Rememberence-08Nov2014-18.jpg
                          Attached Files
                          Lynx7
                          Association Member
                          Last edited by Lynx7; 12-11-2014, 05:00 PM.
                          Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

Westminster Abbey Memorial Garden, The Czechoslovak Legionnaires Abroad.

Rememberence-08Nov2014-17.jpg
                            Time to spare, go by air!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadHorse View Post
                              He even waded into the water and climbed into the cab to apply the handbrake. I wonder why?
                              Did it involve blaming REME?

Comment

Working...
                              X