Announcement

Collapse

Contact details

Effective today, the contact details for the Northern Ireland Veterans' Association have changed to the following

The Secretary
57 Mortimer Street,
Derby.

DE24 8FX

Email: membership@nivets.org.uk
Web: www.nivets.org.uk
Mob: 07368 293729

NIVA Administration.
See more
See less

Crocus street 1982 royal green jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crocus street 1982 royal green jackets

Hi every one I am new to this site is there any one out there that new my brother Danny holland or the other two soldiers that were killed if so please it would be nice to hear from you Thank you.

From our Roll Of Honour

Rifleman DANIEL ROY HOLLAND

24519232, Royal Green Jackets
    Killed in action, age 22, on 25 March 1982
    One of three soldiers shot, while on patrol on the Springfield Road, Belfast.
    Laid to rest at WOOLWICH CEMETERY, LONDON SE18

Comment

The other two Jackets were:

Rifleman NICHOLAS PANYIOTIS MALAKOS
      24530333, Royal Green Jackets
      Killed in action, age 19, on 25 March 1982
      Laid to rest at CROYDON CREMATORIUM.

Rifleman ANTHONY MICHAEL RAPLEY
      24513138, Royal Green Jackets
      Killed in action, age 19, on 25 March 1982
      Laid to rest at OXFORD CREMATORIUM.

These soldiers were killed while on mobile patrol in Crocus Street, close to both Springfield Rd and Falls Rd when IRA gunmen attacked the vehicle with an M60 machine gun, acquired by them via American sources.
      Rfm Rapley & Malakos were killed at the scene. Rfm Holland died of wounds at the Royal Victoria Hospital later that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
        Hi every one I am new to this site is there any one out there that new my brother Danny holland or the other two soldiers that were killed if so please it would be nice to hear from you Thank you.
        Dutchy
        I am covering the 3 murders in Crocus Street and have quite a lot of details, in the book on which I am currently working ('Northern Ireland 1980-84; An Agony Continued') If you would like to make contact with me ken_wharton@hotmail.com I will e-mail you what I have

Comment

A really sad day for the RGJ and all of us who served out there.
          Very eerie this post appearing now as only 12 days ago, I was stood on the exact spot where it happened and said a silent "We Will Remember Them"
          You cannot fight a war with one hand tied behind your back.

Comment

It wasnt a good year for the RGJ at all.
            On 20th July seven members of their military band were killed in Regents Park on a day when some scum decided that bandsmen as well as the horses & riders of the Blues & Royals in Hyde Park would make nice targets in their terror war.
            WO2 G Barker
            Sgt R Livingstone
            Cpl J McKnight
            Bdsm J Heritage
            Bdsm K Powell
            Bdsm L Smith
            Bdsm G Mesure

Not forgotten

Comment

That is what we are all about here Dutchy, keeping the memory of those who did not come home.
              Spanners do it with their tools.

Comment

Buried in Rotherham.
                Visit tree 49/189 @ the NMA and say hello.

Comment

Be who you are and say what you feel...
                  Because those that matter, don't mind.
                  And those that mind, don't matter!

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22625104

In the news today - someone has been charged with that bombing in 1982!

Comment

Hard to believe that it is 32 years today since this terrible attack.

Curious story for you related to the shooting in Crocus St - I was in MPH having a leg plaster changed at the time of the attack, me and a Jock who'd been hit in the ear with a brick (broke the brick) were in a six-bed ward.
                      That evening they wheeled in a young lad who seemed cheerful enough but couldn't move his legs; oddly the staff seemed cold toward him.
                      Anyway, half way through the night he starts throwing his head from side to side, like it was a nightmare...then he takes the solid steel head frame of the bed and with one arm lifts it and throws it across the ward, seemingly still sleeping. By now I'm pressing the buzzer fit to bust - the wee sister (QuARANC) comes in, takes one look and takes off, only to re-appear with two of the biggest male nurses I have ever seen, she tells Jock, 'get him (me) out of here and stay out' . We does a runner, came back later to an empty ward.
                      Later that morning, I saw him in a side room, no pillows, no head frame, and he looked like he was restrained but still seemed happy, talking to some girl. Never heard what became of him but it transpired that he had been in a Crocus St on one of the 4-tonners bringing in 2Coldm Gds to relieve the Jackets. He had seen the whole thing and later on, while he was helping move a steel locker, he collapsed and couldn't move his legs. Of course no-one then had heard of psycho-sematic trauma, and they all thought he was 'swinging the lead'. Wonder how many more there are out there, like him....

Rest easy men, always remembered. Swift and Bold.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock2413 View Post
                        A really sad day for the RGJ and all of us who served out there.
                        Very eerie this post appearing now as only 12 days ago, I was stood on the exact spot where it happened and said a silent "We Will Remember Them"
                        Well done Jock, I'm sure that you paid respects on behalf of us all.
                        “Some must be warriors, that others may live in peace. ”
                        ― Mercedes Lackey

Comment

M60 shoot

Originally posted by jigsawged View Post
                          Well done Jock, I'm sure that you paid respects on behalf of us all.
                          This was a sad day. I was part of a foot patrol that morning around Crocus st. I wish we had seen or heard them they must have already been in position when we patrolled past the fire point on Cavendish st. I was a member of 3RRF from hollywood but we were helping out at North Howard Street. When we got back to the mil, the attack happened and we was crashed out as part of the QRF. We was in a cordon just off crocus st on the Springfield road. They got away from the back of the house on Cavendish street, i don't know if they ever got caught. Sad day for the British army RIP lads. Jeseye 3RRF

Comment

Comment

In memory of Private David James McCahill
                              The Gloucestershire Regiment.
                              In memory of Gunner William John Marks
                              91st Field Regiment. The Royal Artillery.

Comment

Working...
                              X